iFi Audio ZEN Air PHONO External Turntable Preamplifier
DUE JULY 2022
The ZEN Air PHONO by iFi Audio is a super affordable phono stage which makes your vinyl sound purer than ever.
A phono stage, also called a phono pre-amp, provides the connection between the record cartridge/pickup (stylus) and the amplifier. Turntable cartridges output a very small signal which needs amplifying up to several hundred times the original size before it is loud enough for your amplifier. A phono stage increases the signal level from millivolts to volts.
When vinyl was the standard for audio recording, the phono stage was built-in to receivers and amps, allowing direct connection of a turntable. These days most receivers and amps do not contain a phono stage so a separate unit is needed. It is a necessity for any turntable without a phono stage already built in. It will also upgrade a basic built-in phono stage in a turntable or amplifier system.
There are two kinds of turntable cartridge – Moving Magnet and Moving Coil – and the ZEN Air Phono works with both of them. The MM setting is for cartridges with an output voltage of 2mV and higher. The MC setting for outputs less than 2mV. You use the gain switch on the rear to change this setting. It also has a precise RIAA equalisation setting to satisfy the most demanding vinyl lover.
Vinyl records can become warped with age. With the ZEN Air PHONO any warp on your records will be driven away by a specially-designed subsonic filter. Normal subsonic filters remove rumble AND bass and can cause phase issues. This unique phono subsonic filter removes rumble only.
- Hi-resolution external phono stage preamplifier.
- Upgrades any basic built-in phono stage.
- Reduces noise, hiss, and rumble on vinyl playback.
- Ultra-low noise.
- Moving-Magnet or Moving-Coil (MM / MC) compatible.
- Subsonic filter setting.
- Power Supply Requirement: DC 5 V / 1.0 A (centre +ve)
- Frequency Response: 20 Hz -20 kHz (±0.15 dB)
- Channel Separation: < 75 dB (1 kHz all modes)
- Max Output Voltage RMS: 6.5 V RMS 600 Ω ( < 1 % THD + N)
- Gain: MM 40 dB / MC 64 dB
- Input Impedance: MM 47k / MC 1k
- Output Impedance: 100 Ω
- SNR: MM (40 dB ±1 dB) 86 dB (A-weighted) re 1 V, MC (64 dB ±1 dB) 82 dB (A-weighted) re 1 V
- EIN: 0.6 nV /Hz (unweighted), 6.5 nV /Hz (unweighted), MM -130 dBV (A-weighted), MC -151 dBV (A-weighted)
- Total Harmonic Distortion: MM < -90 dB / 0.005% re 1V, MM < -80 dB / 0.01% re 1V
- Power Consumption: < 1.8W
- Dimensions: 158 x 117 x 35 mm
- Net weight: 320 g
- ZEN Air PHONO Turntable Preamplifier
- USB Power Cable
- Warranty Card
Delivery and Returns
|Shipping method||Delivery Time||Cost|
Please be advised that we may upgrade your delivery to a better service if we deem it appropriate to designated destinations at no additional cost. Please view our returns policy.
*Quoted delivery times are estimates and apply to normal working days for in stock items.
- Free UK First Class shipping on orders £ 99+
- UK shipping from: £1.75
- EU shipping from: £5.99
- International shipping from: £5.99
- View shipping rates for your country
- All other major credit/debit cards