Developed in Germany, the Sennheiser HD820 combines an innovative glass reflector and ring radiator transducer technology for a benchmark listening experience as vivid as it is uninterrupted.
Completely closed. Outrageously open. HD820 fuses cutting-edge transducer capabilities with exceptional ambient noise attenuation, transcending the perceived limits of closed headphones. Until now, the audiophile headphone experience could only begin with the Sennheiser open-back designs — a design that paved the way for an entire class of precision listening devices.
This standard of sound reproduction would go on to surpass hi-fi systems exponentially larger in size and cost, with the understanding that listeners would not be isolated from their surroundings. HD820 sacrifices neither detail nor sound field thanks to its innovative acoustical systems in a closed, dynamic headphone.
A closed-back headphone able to produce the wide, natural sound field of an open design requires rethinking the directional characteristics of sound waves. While sealed headphones offer the utmost privacy, redirected energy can create resonance and distortion within the ear chamber. The reference-class experience of HD820 is achieved with the use of precision concave glass reflectors — one terminating in each earcup.
Located on the outer plane of each ring radiator transducer, this functional plate reflects energy from the rear of the driver to a specially tuned absorber system, allowing the waves to mimic the behaviour exhibited in open-air models (such as the HD800S). While also a striking visual feature, the technical execution of the glass reflector yields a sound stage never before experienced in a sealed headphone.
The 56 mm ring radiator found in the HD820 leverages the key benefit of a large diaphragm transducer — air displacement — without losing the rigidity that favourably impacts rest and response times. Instead of a single attachment on the outer circumference of the transducer, both outer and inner edges of the ring are secured to the drive unit. The voice coil vibrates the diaphragm, connected to the V-shaped groove found near the centre of the ring.
The vibration-damping chassis and inert headband insert provide complete stability, resulting in astonishing speed and accuracy throughout the entire frequency spectrum. What you put into the HD820 is precisely what you will get out of it, too. Each transducer is manufactured, tested, and measured to an extremely tight tolerance to ensure the most dependable performance out of the box. Each HD 820 also includes the frequency response plot unique to that set’s serial number, sparing no resource to help you retrieve the most critical details from every corner of your music collection.
- The new audiophile standard for closed-back headphones.
- Ring Radiator transducers.
- Unique innovative glass transducer covers minimize resonances.
- Incredible realistic, natural sound field.
- Robust metal headband with inner damping element.
- Handcrafted comfortable microfiber ear pads.
- Developed and made in Germany.
- Silver-cladded OFC cables and gold-plated plugs.
- Impedance: 300 Ohms
- Frequency Response: 12 - 43800 Hz (-3 dB), 6 - 48000 Hz (-10 dB)
- Sound Pressure Level (SPL): 103 dB at 1 kHz, 1V
- Ear Coupling: Over-Ear
- Jack Plug: 6.35 mm / 4.4 mm, XLR-4 (optional)
- Cable Length: 3 m
- Weight: 360 g without cable
- Transducer Principle: dynamic, closed
- Headphones HD 820 (closed, dynamic headphones).
- Connection cable: 1/4-inch (6.35 mm) stereo jack plug (connected ex works), unbalanced.
- 4.4 mm stereo jack plug, balanced.
- USB flash drive (SD-U16L version) with PDF instruction manual and individually diffuse-field frequency response curve.
- Instruction manual.
- Storage box.
- Microfibre cloth.
Delivery and Returns
|Shipping method||Delivery Time||Cost|
Please be advised that we may upgrade your delivery to a better service if we deem it appropriate to designated destinations at no additional cost. Please view our returns policy.
*Quoted delivery times are estimates and apply to normal working days for in stock items.
- HiFi Headphones
- Over Ear Headphones
- UK shipping from: £1.99
- EU shipping from: £4.99
- International shipping from: £5.99
- View shipping rates for your country
- All other major credit/debit cards